And that Masaajid belong to Allah, so do not invoke anyone along with Allah [72:18]
Musical tones, phones ringing, noise, quarrels, children disturbing Salah etc. are everyday scenes in contemporary masaajid.
Alhamdulillah, this is a humble reminder for all attending the masjid, a gift for Imams and teachers – Compiled by Shaykh Asim Ahmed of Darul-Uloom Al-Madania, Buffalo, NY. Insha Allah, it will be beneficial to everyone.
THE ETIQUETTES OF MASJID
1. The Masaajid have been built solely for Allah Ta’ala’s remembrance. Therefore, do not do any other work in the Masjid besides the remembrance of Allah Ta’ala (matters of Deen and Shari’ah such as lessons of Qur’an, Ahadith, lectures and propagation (Da’wah) are all included in the remembrance of Allah Ta’ala.)
2. On reaching the Masjid if you see some people sitting then greet them by saying Assalam-o-Alaikum. This should only be done if those present in the Masjid are not engaged in any form of ibadah like Salaah, recitation of Quran, Zikrullah, etc. If they are engaged in any form of ibadah then do not say Salaam.If there is nobody in the Masjid then say:
Asalaamu alaina wa’ala ibaadillah his saliheen
(Peace be upon us and upon all the pious servants of Allah Ta’ala)
3. On entering the Masjid, perform two rakaats of Tahiyaatul Masjid making sure that it is not any prohibited time for performing Salaah such as before sunrise, sunset, and zawaal. If it is a prohibited time, then just recite the following kalimahs four time:
Subhanallah wal handulillah wa la ilaha ilallah
Thereafter, invoke blessings upon the Prophet Sallallahu `alaihi wasallam.
4. Do not carry out business (buying or selling) in the Masjid.
5. Do not make any announcements concerning anything without prior approval.
6. Do not raise your voice.
7. Do not talk of worldly affairs.
8. Do not fight with anyone over a place to sit.
9. If there is not enough space in the gap then do not squeeze yourself in and make it difficult for others.
10. Do not pass in front of any person performing Salaat.
11. One should avoid spitting and cleaning one’s nose.
12. Do not crack fingers.
13. Do not play with any parts of the body.
14. One should stay pure from all impurities and acquaint ones self with the etiquette’s of Masjid. Do not take those people to the Masjid who are unaware of the respect of the Masjid such as small children and insane people.
15. Keep yourself busy in excessive remembrance of Allah Ta’ala while in the Masjid.
16. Besides a Mu’takif (a person sitting for I’tikaf) or a Musafer (traveler), no other person should eat or sleep in the Masjid.
17. Do not make Niyyah (of Salaat) in the Masjid in such a place where it will be an inconvenience for those who may be passing.
18. Do not enter the Masjid after eating, drinking, or taking anything that has a strong foul odor like raw onions, garlic, cigarettes, tobacco, paan, etc. without thoroughly cleansing ones mouth.
19. Do not beg inside the Masjid.
20. Always uphold the honor and purity of the house of Allah Ta’ala.
Reference: Ma’ariful Qu’ran, Durre Mukhtar and Ahkaamul Masjid